Saturday, January 29, 2011

Black Bean Soup with Hominy

It's a beautiful winter day here in the Hudson Valley. As I cook today, I'm watching live coverage of events as they unfold in Egypt and praying for both peace and justice for the people there. I'm also thinking about David Kato, the gay activist who was murdered in Uganda, and other courageous lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people who face persecution and violence around the world and here in the US. Keep loving each other, friends.

Today's soup is a spicy vegan black bean soup made extra hearty with the addition of hominy.

I began early this morning by cleaning & rinsing 2 lbs of dried black beans and then soaking them in hot water. I love the color of black beans which in a certain light are actually a very very dark purple. When they are wet they glisten like black jewels.



After a couple of hours, the beans were hydrated. I rinsed them again and covered them with fresh water. Cooking over medium heat, a slow boil, I added several cloves of minced garlic, and two large onions. I let the beans cook gently for a couple of hours and then I added a can of tomato paste, to help thicken the broth, and 2 chopped green peppers.

I seasoned the soup with Goya Adobo, liquid smoke, chili powder, ground cumin, black pepper and oregano. The flavor seemed a bit flat and a little bitter, so I brightened it with some vinegary juice from a jar of picked hot peppers and mellowed it a dash of sugar.

When the beans were nice and tender and the broth was rich and thick, I added 2 drained cans of white hominy.

It was ready to eat. I dished up a bowl for myself for dinner and garnished it with some grated extra sharp cheddar cheese (oops! not vegan anymore), some crispy fried onions, a squirt of sriracha sauce and some tortilla chips. The rest will go to Friends at Bulls Head Meeting tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment